MADE BY EILEEN FISHER EXCLUSIVELY FOR GARNET HILL Make a statement in this pure wool wonder, featuring a beautiful stand collar, large snap buttons, and elegant seam details on the front and back. Three-quarter length. By Eileen Fisher. Imported.
I wear Eileen Fisher very often, and I love this new coat. It has a very flattering line and I love that it can be worn (and will look good!) open or closed. I already know that this boiled wool fabric is very durable...I just hung my new coat next to a EF boiled wool jacket that I've been wearing for 15 years!
I LOVE this coat! This coat surely stands out as being high quality - it is simply elegant - yet very practical. The Ash is the perfect grey to go with almost everything. The wool is a heavy weight and with a sweater underneath could be worn on most winter days. Having the snaps adds such a great touch to this coat. At 5'3", the coat hits me a few inches above the knee - making it all the more warm. I have been wearing a colorful scarf to peek out underneath the collar - easily changing the look to go with my mood or the occasion. I am thinking purchasing the black as well!
This is a perfect all around coat. Wear with jeans or dress it up. Throw a different color scarf on and you change the "look." Too cold out?...Just put a warm sweater underneath. This is my best "go to" piece in my wardrobe. LOVE it!
The coat i s beautiful, fits my EF size M (outerwesr) body perfectly! I must have short arms cuz the coat doesn't fit like a 3/4 length...sleeves end at my wrist. The coat is not lined but it isnt itchy....feels soft! I have fine motor difficulty which makes the large snaps easy to manage. For me this is the perfect coat!
I am a huge GH fan and order frequently. I have never returned anything but this is going back. Terrible quality of wool and the huge snaps cause puckering at closure. I hate to say this, but it looks like a horse blanket.
Response from Garnet Hill:By Lorna, Customer Liaison, December 2, 2013
We're sorry to hear our Eileen Fisher Boiled Wool Stand-Collar Coat did not meet your expectations. Please remember our exchanges are freight free.
I love Eileen Fischer...many years ago I bought a similar coat.....slightly different style and fabric......but the point is, that coat has served me well for over 14+ yrs. I have been waiting for another coat that was similar in style and my patience has paid off. This coat is classic, timeless and will forever be in style.....you will not be disappointed if you are searching for a very classy coat. My only wish would be for this coat to be made in cashmere/wool blend as my first coat was that I bought many years ago.
I'd say this coat has pros and cons, but it won't serve my purpose so it's going back.
Observations: 1) seems to run about a size larger than suggested by the size chart (chart says I should wear a L, but the L looked very big on me, even over a sweater). I find that is typically true of Eileen Fisher items, which usually fit me better in a M.
2) I've been looking for a coat with deep armholes (like a dolman or kimono sleeve) to fit over oversized or boxy sweaters with full arms. I thought this might be that coat, although it's hard to tell from the pictures. It is not. The armholes are not especially narrow compared to the standard fit on other coats, just narrower than I expected for a coat with this full body shape. As an aside, if clothing manufacturers are going to produce tons of boxy, oversized sweaters, could they please produce some coats that can be worn over them without bunching uncomfortably under the arms? I've been looking for a coat with deeper armholes for three seasons now, unsuccessfully. And a cape or poncho won't always do.
3) In person, the color is a bit lighter than it looks on my monitor: I'd call it a medium charcoal gray--not light, not very dark.
4) The oversized snaps look like they'd be easy to manage with gloves.
5) The garment feels very light in weight, but like it would be fairly warm (typical of unlined, boiled wool). It has a slightly "hairy" surface and is a bit less polished than I expected.
6) The diagonal seams extending from the neck toward the hips are noticeable in some of the photographs online but not others. They are fairly apparent in person. Before ordering I was concerned those seams might tend to make my already-narrow shoulders look even narrower, giving me a triangular shape. I don't think they have that effect, although YMMV.
4 of 4 found this review helpful.
Response from Garnet Hill:By Lorna, Customer Liaison, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We hope you took advantage of our freight free exchanges when you returned.
I can only speak to the attractiveness and quality of the coat, since I live in Phoenix and it's not cold enough yet to wear it! But I love it--it's chic and warm yet lightweight. BTW, I bought it with a discount. I love Eileen Fisher, but 'way too expensive!
I bought this coat in black. When I tried it on and went to the mirror I was immediately struck by how chic and lovely it is. Lately, some Eileen Fisher has not been as much to my taste, but this is perfection. Simple, beautifully tailored, and makes me look rich!